This introductory lecture and lab asynchronous online course is designed to teach the licensed physical therapist, physical therapist assistant, and athletic trainers assessment and treatment techniques for patients with curvature of the spine. Participants will gain a greater understanding of scoliosis, based on the current evidence, as a 3-dimensional, torsional, asymmetry with attention given to effects of scoliosis on the sagittal, frontal and transverse planes.
We will cover contributing developmental factors, risk of curve progression, spinal precautions, contraindications, safe performance of activities of daily living, x-ray review, and typical scoliotic curve pattern identification with specific treatment techniques. Best practice recommendations for exercise dosing, bracing (TLSO) and surgical recommendations will also be covered. Assessment and treatment techniques are supported by the Postural Restoration Institute®.
Format: Home study (virtual, asynchronous)
Note: Once purchased, you will have access to the course for 30 days.
By the end of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the development and progression of scoliosis in both children and adults,
- Determine risk of curve progression and therefore prescribing appropriate level of intervention,
- Realize and incorporate specific spinal precautions/protections and bracing guidelines into treatment programs,
- Learn new assessment tests specific to scoliosis as a 3-dimensional deformity, in addition to standard scoliosis measures (x-ray interpretation, scoliometry, spirometry and others),
- Identify typical and atypical scoliosis curve patterns,
- Develop safe, appropriate and effective treatment plans for patients with scoliosis.
What’s Included with the Course:
- Engaging, detailed videos covering more than 13 hours
- 80+ page course manual
- Additional articles and handouts
- Unlimited access to the course materials for 30 days
Table of Contents
- Proprietary Material Acknowledgement
- Introduction to STRATER Scoliosis Institute
- Development and Manifestations of Idiopathic Curvature of the Spine
- Understanding Scoliosis Curve Types, Screening and Evaluation
- Treatment Considerations 1
- Radiograph Review
- Radiograph Lab
- Scoliosis Specific Clinical Measures
- Basic Idiopathic Curve Pattern Review
- Clinical Use of Walking Poles
- Recap of Day 1
- Photo and Video Analysis: Curve Pattern Recognition Challenge!
- Treatment Considerations 2: Juveniles and Adolescents
- Treatment Considerations 3: Adult Considerations
- Current Best Practice, Bracing, Types of Braces, and Surgery Considerations
- Treatment Considerations 4: Non Manual Techniques
- Treatment Considerations 5: Non Manual Techniques